You may want to divorce your partner or break up with him or her because you feel burdened by their constant demands or neediness. Perhaps you feel overwhelmed at times and imagine life without your partner. The idea of living alone appeals to you because the intrusion of someone else in your space has gotten to you. So before you call a mediator for divorce, consider this, you may have tendencies toward being an introvert. It’s not a disease, it’s a personality trait. It could be the result of early childhood experiences, heredity, or just innate. It’s the opposite of Extrovert and you know who they are.
According to Psychology Today contributor: Susan Krauss Whitbourne Ph.D, a list of traits that may determine that it’s not your partner that needs to go, but you may need more personal time and your partner needs to understand this.
- You enjoy having time to yourself.
- Your best thinking occurs when you’re by yourself
- You lead best when others are self-starters.
- You’re the last to raise your hand when someone asks for something from a group.
- Other people ask you your opinion.
- You often wear headphones when you’re in a public situation.
- You prefer not to engage with people who seem angry or upset.
- You receive more calls, texts, and emails than you make, unless you have no choice.
- You don’t initiate small talk with salespeople or others with whom you have casual contact.
If any of these traits resonate for you then you just may be an introvert. Typically we have both introvert and extrovert in us, however with this list it may reassure you that it’s more a preference and not a problem in your relationship. I hope this has been helpful; and if you would like to explore more in this area. We offer counseling and life coaching either or can help keep the harmony in your life to a PEAK state. So, if you’re Thinking Of Leaving, Contact us first for a FREE consultation to discuss how your marriage can be the best it possibly can.
Read about what Dana and Don say about relationships in their book, Conscious Coupling.